Let Us Start Working On Your Solution

Schedule A Consultation


What do parents need to know about modifying custody?

Child custody arrangements can be complex or quite simple. Regardless of the way yours are set up, you need to be clear that you must abide by the schedule that you've had confirmed by the court. 

If you or your ex-spouse start to stray from the court-ordered visitation schedule, you could have problems. For example, if one parent starts to withhold custody from the other parent or is consistently trying to change visitation times to different days, then it could seriously impact the other parent's time with their child.

Both of you should understand that changing your visitation schedule isn't advised without a modification through the court. If you don't abide by the present custody schedule, the other parent can technically take you back to court and have the judge order you to comply.

That's not something anyone wants to go through, but if you're struggling with your custody schedule, it might actually be a good idea. If a major change occurs, like a marriage, new job or other significant change, then the court may hear your request to modify a custody schedule. It's normal for parents to have to renegotiate custody, so don't worry if you find you need to after some time has passed.

Overall, when you agree to a parenting schedule, you need to stick to it as often as you can. If it's no longer working, then it's time to look into your options and decide if you want to seek a modification of child support in court. Your attorney can help you petition for a modification if it's necessary in the future.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


24025 Park Sorrento
Suite 310
Calabasas, CA 91302

Toll Free: 800-230-1770
Phone: 818-676-9605
Fax: (818) 222-0010
Calabasas Law Office Map

7 W. Figueroa Street
Suite 300
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Toll Free: 800-230-1770
Phone: 818-676-9605
Fax: (818) 222-0010
Map & Directions

Review Us