Let Us Start Working On Your Solution

Schedule A Consultation


Family Law Blog

How should you handle your emotions during divorce?

Divorces are hard on everyone including friends, family members, children and yourself. It can be hard to manage their expectations along with your own. You may even have to deal with the loss of your marriage alongside the loss of close friends or family members as a result of the breakup.

For many people, the divorce itself is not about the paperwork. It's the untangling of their lives, and they want to do it right. You're right to assume that the documentation of the divorce is necessary legally, but from an emotional aspect, you have to be in the right state of mind to get that work done.

How do you cope with seeing your child less after divorce?

Child custody disputes are some of the most common during divorces. Two parents are likely to want the same amount of time with their children, but even fairly splitting time means seeing their children less.

As a parent, it's important that you find ways to cope with seeing your children less so that the other parent also receives a fair amount of time with them. How can you help yourself during times when your children won't be with you? Here are a few tips:

Understanding community property and your divorce

During a divorce, one of the things you have to talk about is how you plan to divide your property. Normally, people in California follow a 50-50 rule thanks to the state being a community property state. What that means is that any marital property is shared equally among the parties, not divided equitably.

Here's an example. If you and your husband are planning to divorce and own two houses, a boat and two cars all purchased in both your names and during your marriage, then you would want to either split the property as close to equally as possible or sell all the property and divide the profits equally.

Can I help a child get lawful residency in the U.S.?

If you are considering adoption, you likely want nothing more than to make sure a child feels loved and they have a safe and happy home. You may be considering adopting a child who is an immigrant to give a young person better opportunities in the United States than they may have in their home country.

If the child is an immigrant, it can be a bit complicated, as they need to ensure their resident status in the U.S. is secure. One way children can receive permanent residency through adoption is by applying for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS).

What is Special Immigrant Juvenile Status?

The United States offers immigration statuses for many different types of individuals, but one of the lesser known options available to applicants specifically helps children in need of a new home.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) allows immigrant children who are in the state juvenile system to obtain lawful permanent resident status. In SIJS cases, children typically meet certain criteria or are unable to reunify with their parents for one of these three reasons:

Jolie and Pitt still in legal battle over their 6 children

People who don't follow the tabloids or watch celebrity "news" shows might assume that the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie divorce was settled long ago. The power couple filed for divorce over two years ago, in September 2016. They had been married for just two years, but they had been together for over a decade.

However, the two are still at odds, and their battles have gained some media attention. Their next court date is scheduled for early in December. One major issue is custody of their six children.

What a private judge can -- and can't -- do for divorcing couples

Here in Los Angeles, people sometimes read about celebrity couples hiring private judges to oversee their divorces. However, you don't need to star on a TV show or have an Oscar to hire a private judge.

You also don't need to be a multimillionaire -- although you will need to spend some money. However, if your time is valuable to you, it may be worth your while.

Shared custody options for Thanksgiving

It's never too early for divorced parents to determine how their kids will divide their time over the Thanksgiving holiday. If you included Thanksgiving in your custody agreement during your divorce, you're a step ahead. Of course, that doesn't mean that you and your co-parent can't agree to change your predetermined arrangement.

If you live here in Calabasas and your kids attend school in the Las Virgenes Unified School District (LVUSD), they have the entire week of Thanksgiving off. Some other school districts and private schools do as well. However, the big celebrations on both sides of your family will likely be on Thanksgiving Day and over the weekend.

Email Us For a Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


24025 Park Sorrento
Suite 310
Calabasas, CA 91302

Toll Free: 800-230-1770
Phone: 818-676-9605
Fax: 818-222-0310
Calabasas Law Office Map

7 W. Figueroa Street
Suite 300
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Toll Free: 800-230-1770
Phone: 818-676-9605
Fax: 818-222-0310
Map & Directions

Review Us